Virginia: Oh, Walter, we made your favorite tonight, moussaka. [laughs with Roger]
Catherine: What’s so funny?
Virginia: You see, Katherine, in our younger days [while Roger kisses Virginia’s hands] we took a glorious trip to the Greek Islands
Roger: We rented a krypsona on the Isle of Santorini.
Walter: And I was there, too.
Low Carb Moussaka
- 4 long narrow eggplants
- Extra olive oil, for greasing pan and brushing eggplant
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1/8 cup water
- 1 1/2 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 1/2 lbs. very lean ground beef or ground lamb (twice ground)
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- black pepper, to taste (ground fresh)
- 1/8 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon sugar substitute
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1/2 can (15 ounce size) tomato sauce
- 1/4 lb. Parmesan or Romano cheese, freshly grated
- 6 large eggs
- 1/2 cup cream
- Peel and slice eggplant into 1/4-inch slices lengthwise. Sprinkle with salt. Place in a colander to drain (about 30 minutes). Rinse and let dry between paper towels.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Place eggplant onto well oiled pan. Brush with olive oil. Bake 10 to 15 minutes until tender. Set aside.
- In a large skillet cook onions in 1/8 cup water, 1 1/2 tablespoons olive oil and 1/8 teaspoon salt until onions are clear. Remove and set aside. In same skillet brown meat. Add cooked onions, salt, pepper, nutmeg, cinnamon, sugar, tomato sauce and 1 tablespoon of butter.
- Cook, stirring well. Reduce sauce until almost dry and set aside. Place a layer of eggplant close together in bottom of pan. Top with 1/3 of the grated cheese. Add 1/2 of the meat mixture. Spread evenly. Repeat once more and top with eggplant. Sprinkle the remaining Parmesan cheese. Beat eggs and cream together well. Spoon entire mixture on top of mousaka wetting cheese. Drizzle top with 2 tablespoons melted butter. Bake in 350 degrees F oven for 50 to 60 minutes until golden brown on top and knife inserted in center comes out clean. Cool and cut into diamonds or squares. Serve warm.